[Discuss] Thin Provisioned LVM

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 15:26:14 EDT 2015

On 3/10/2015 1:03 PM, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> intensive for much hungrier applications. LVM is much more light weight
> and has better performance in applications that manage their own
> journalling and data integrity (like a database).

If you're getting substantially better performance with LVM than with
ZFS then you've done something wrong. ZFS done right is only a little
worse than bare disk speeds assuming that you have enough physical RAM
for I/O cache (or dedicated ZIL and L2ARC vdevs for heavy I/O loads) and
enough CPU for raidz, compression and encryption if you are using these
features.

--
Rich P.