[Discuss] cell Network time no longer provided

Shirley Márquez Dúlcey mark at buttery.org
Mon Mar 16 10:51:15 EDT 2015

So far, US carriers are still using legacy protocols (GSM and CDMA)
for voice calls and text messages. Higher speed protocols (HSDPA,
HSPA+) are used for the data side by GSM carriers; CDMA carriers use
EVDO. Both use LTE for their latest data offerings. They are starting
to implement VoLTE (voice over LTE) as a replacement for legacy
protocols but it will be years until the switch is complete.

I don't know whether LTE includes any notion of time services; if not,
the current notion of carrier-provided time will go out the window
when LTE-only devices start to appear. But any LTE-capable device
could easily synchronize to an NTP server on the internet if the OS
includes that capability. So far as I know neither iOS nor Android
currently does, though you can get third party apps to add automatic
NTP synchronization to a rooted Android device.