[Discuss] cell Network time no longer provided

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:12:15 EDT 2015

On 3/16/2015 10:51 AM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:
> includes that capability. So far as I know neither iOS nor Android
> currently does, though you can get third party apps to add automatic
> NTP synchronization to a rooted Android device.

Android has had an NTP service since ICS (version 3). ICS does not
require an always-on cellular baseband thus is not guaranteed to have
access to a carrier's NITZ information. This is stock Android. Some OEMs
are known to cripple or disable the NTP service.

I expect iOS provides a similar service for WiFi-only devices for the
same reason.

--
Rich P.