[Discuss] Boot issues on Thjinkpad W520 with SSD

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon Mar 23 10:48:20 EDT 2015

I installed Fedora 21 on a Lenovo Thinkpad w520 that has a 160GB SSD drive
Installed perfectly, booted up a few times including at the installfest.
The following Wednesday at the BLU meeting when booting got the usual
list of kernels, but after selecting the desired kernel I just got a
gray screen and no HD activity.

After the meeting I reinstalled from a DVD. Ran the live DVD and
installed to disk. The system was ok for a few days until last night
where I had the same issue. It has no problem booting from media. I was
also able to run the memory diagnostic. Memory tested ok.

Since the laptop is on warranty I am going to ship it back, but I would
like some ideas as to what might be happening. Could be that the SSD
drive itself may have some issues.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix