[Discuss] My HP Pavilion's HD bit the dust and it is 13 years old, [...]

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat May 30 18:01:28 EDT 2015

On 5/30/2015 5:17 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:
> With Lenovo, the advice i saw is to stick with the models with physical
> mouse buttons, avoid the ones with only trackpad tap. (Lenovo has good
> track record with Linux.)

The ThinkPad line has a good track record with Linux. Lenovo's other
kit, not so much. My old IdeaCenter had unsupported Ethernet (M/B) and
WiFi (mini PCIe). My Yoga 13 has unsupported WiFi (mini PCIe) and a UEFI
device signature check that blocks the use of non-Lenovo cards and the
firmware is locked to prevent changing this behavior.

Add two recent spyware scandals and my advice is to avoid Lenovo at all
costs and look at something built on a Clevo chassis.

--
Rich P.