[Discuss] My HP Pavilion's HD bit the dust and it is 13 years old, so instead of replacing the disk again, I would like a new laptop. But I would like to pay <$300. I do not expect the best or the biggest. I have been told that some computers do not l

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun May 31 17:12:19 EDT 2015

>> Is it my imagination, or are 8 year old laptops much more physically
>> robust than their modern counterparts?

> My ThinkPad T43 (IBM-logo'd, but references it was manufactured by Lenovo on
> the bottom) is still going. Its BIOS is from 2005 and is happily running
> Fedora today.

Yeah.  T61 here.  Just bought a second cheap (no battery, honestly missing).

As i said, i've heard Lenovo ThinkPad build quality remained good
through the last model with 2 sets of physical mice switches, but the
latest models less so.

(Problem with the T40/T41 was the screen-back-light and it's voltage
converter were known early-fail components.)

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux