[Discuss] Fwd: Hey FCC, Don't Lock Down Our Wi-Fi Routers | WIRED

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 14:33:53 EST 2015

On 11/5/2015 1:21 PM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:
> A problem for the makers of high priced products. But if you are a
> commodity router maker, your value is in price and reliability, not
> software uniqueness. So why not open up?

There are a few reasons I'm aware of. The most practical one is simply
that they can't afford it. Every state in the Union has implied warranty
laws that manufacturers must comply with. Some states, including
Massachusetts, outright prohibit "as-is" sales. Meanwhile, most GPL
software, including the Linux kernel, expressly comes "as-is" with no
warranty whatsoever. Google and Verizon can afford to eat the costs of
adding warranty support to unsupported code; not so much D-Link and TP-Link.

--
Rich P.