[Discuss] Fwd: Hey FCC, Don't Lock Down Our Wi-Fi Routers | WIRED

Jack Coats jack at coats.org
Sun Nov 8 12:24:21 EST 2015

My point is, for the geek, having upgradable hardware is a doable
personal project, so this FCC potential ruling is not a death knell.

For the general consumer, well they seldom if ever upgrade microcode
and have displayed a propensity to purchase a new shiny trinket rather
than try to upgrade.

Not everyone, but most consumers, or they wouldn't keep selling more
routers than we have people in the country!

I figure that the feds will be disabling any updates to phones
eventually once they realize that it doesn't take a genius to
update/change/modify them too.

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/8/2015 11:40 AM, Michael Tiernan wrote:
>>
>> I've always wondered why no one produces a cheaper unit without
>> functioning firmware, just a basic web interface (or better USB) that
>> says "Load your own and have at it."
>

> Economy of scale. You can't have cheaper without the general consumer market
> buying into it. The general consumer market won't buy hobbyist DIY kit.
>
> --
> Rich P.

><> ... Jack

The Four Boxes of Liberty - "There are four boxes to be used in the
defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that
order."
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." -
Admiral Grace Hopper, USN
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I
learn." - Ben Franklin