[Discuss] Profiting from GPL software

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 15:56:27 EST 2015

On 11/10/2015 2:53 PM, Mike Small wrote:
> I like his term "cooperative software." This way of thinking solves
> for me the trouble I sometimes have to keep my positive feelings
> for copyleft while being constantly exposed to the sometimes vitriolic
> anti-copyleft sentiment over in the BSD lists.  But perhaps it
> sounds too left wing to be tactically sound for the FSF to adopt.
> And then they'd have to change their acronym, among other things.

RMS can be.... Hm. Stubborn is a nicely politic word to use. He can be
stubborn about words and what they mean in his mind. In a recent
discussion about English words that mean free as in freedom in which he
lamented the necessity of borrowing libre I suggested the word
independence (as in "Declaration of"). Independence (or independent)
software, as in independent from onerous, burdensome licenses.

His response was, and I quote, "I don't buy it."

I wasn't terribly surprised. RMS has gone on record that he listens to
advice and criticism only from his supporters.

--
Rich P.