[Discuss] Linux on laptops

Edward Ned Harvey (blu) blu at nedharvey.com
Thu Nov 12 09:03:42 EST 2015

> From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On
> Behalf Of Kent Borg
>
> Something that has intrigued me recently is the idea of running a fairly
> standard Linux on a Chromebook. They are small and cheap, and have long
> battery life.

The issue that leads me here today is as follows:

I have an Acer Chromebook C710. Dual core Celeron 1.1GHz, 2GB ram (one slot populated, one slot available), 320GB hard drive, multitouch pad. It's pretty nice. So I looked up how to install linux on it. The answer is Chrubuntu,
http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/2013/05/chrubuntu-one-script-to-rule-them-all_31.html

This got ubuntu 12.04 installed (quite painfully I might add). So the first thing I did was apply updates, and suddenly there's no graphics anymore. Text only login.

Needless to say, that's not acceptable.

The root cause is the Chromebook BIOS can't boot a standard bootloader. Linux is assuming grub, which is not correct, so weird things happen loading the wrong kernel or the wrong initrd. You can't boot from a USB into rescue mode to fix it. You have to restore to factory from a Chromebook USB recovery fob, and start all over.

I strongly discourage getting a chromebook with the intent of using it for anything other than a chromebook. But if you already have one - Sure, give it a try. Worst case, you have to download a Chromebook recovery fob in order to get back to a supported chrome OS.