[Discuss] Linux on laptops

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Nov 12 09:17:21 EST 2015

On 11/12/2015 09:03 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> I have an Acer Chromebook C710. Dual core Celeron 1.1GHz, 2GB ram (one slot populated, one slot available), 320GB hard drive, multitouch pad. It's pretty nice. So I looked up how to install linux on it. The answer is Chrubuntu,
> http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/2013/05/chrubuntu-one-script-to-rule-them-all_31.html
>
> This got ubuntu 12.04 installed (quite painfully I might add). So the first thing I did was apply updates, and suddenly there's no graphics anymore. Text only login.
>
> Needless to say, that's not acceptable.

You have more experience than I do...and it sounds unpleasant.

I do know there are two ways to do a regular Linux on a Chromebook,
under Chrome OS, or booting native (seems more "real" to me). Neither
looked trivial to me.

There are also different Linux distributions to choose from, I have
given up on Ubuntu and been happier since I switched to Debian,
including on Arm where it isn't going to mess with grub.

Clearly this would be a hackerly project, not turnkey. But this is a
hackerly mailing list...

And, if you want a "real" computer, an inexpensive Chromebook probably
isn't going to satisfy you.

-kb