[Discuss] Experiences virtualizing: Linux hosted in Windows vs Windows hosted in Linux

Nuno Sucena Almeida nuno at aeminium.org
Fri Nov 13 21:24:37 EST 2015

On 11/13/2015 07:10 PM, John Abreau wrote:
> When I do need to run Windows, its performance in a VM is abysmal, so I
> stick with dual-booting for performance reasons.

I run linux guest on linux host and sometimes windows guest on linux
host and don't see much performance difference, I usually assign 8GB RAM
for desktop guests. Make sure you have (intel) VT-x and optionally VT-d
enabled on your bios. I use both linux kvm (qemu) and virtualbox. More
of the former for servers and the latter for desktops.

Nuno