[Discuss] Dropping obsolete commands (Linux Pocket Guide)

Edward Ned Harvey (blu) blu at nedharvey.com
Wed Nov 18 17:21:48 EST 2015

> From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On
> Behalf Of Chuck Anderson
>
> Other than chfn, how do people usually change their Full Name in
> /etc/passwd?

Ask the sysadmin to update Active Directory, LDAP, NIS, or whatever.

I certainly don't expect regular users to know about chfn. For that matter, I don't expect sysadmins to know it either. I would expect regular users to ask a sysadmin, and I would expect the sysadmin to use "sudo vi" most likely.

How often does somebody change their name? Basically when they get married...  Approximiately 0.5 times in a lifetime.

I don't know. I'm putting this one deep, deep into "esoteric" land.