[Discuss] weird disk issues

Jack Coats jack at coats.org
Thu Oct 15 13:36:32 EDT 2015

I have a 'home server' and it is in a hall closet without a door.  It still
gets dusty and air circulation is poor.
I seem to have a thermal problem on occasion that keeps it from recognizing
an internal data drive
(not the boot drive) when it comes up.

I to have a UPS, but have found using and monitoring a good UPS is better
than some 'cheap' UPSes out there.
I use APC here at home that use 'real sign wave' output.  Some cheaper ones
do square wave or few steps in their
sign wave.  Yes, I used refurbished UPSes, with new batteries.

My systems tend to need a new power supply, even if on UPSes every 5 years,
3 if knock off supplies.
I have dissected the supplies a few times and it is pretty much  always a
electrolytic capacitor that fails.
Sometimes it will take a winding in a transformer with it.

The only UPS failures I have had were after a local lightening strike.
Opening up the UPS, it's power section
and half of the MOVs were apparently toast.  All equipment on each of my 5
UPSes passed without a glitch,
but 2 of the UPSes died in that strike.  The UPS guy hated me getting new
UPSes and batteries delivered
after that, but all has worked well. - Oh yes, I lost about $1000 on
non-UPS electronics plus the UPSes during
that incident.

Not sure if anything there will help.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Mike Small <smallm at sdf.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:34:09PM -0400, Stephen Adler wrote:
> > > What kernel version do you have?
> > >

> > It's the latest RHEL 7
> >
> > [root at basement00 ~]# uname -a
> > Linux basement00.stephenadler.local 3.10.0-229.14.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP
> > Tue Aug 25 11:21:22 EDT 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> So I guess it's not this then:
> https://github.com/manjaro/packages-core/issues/11
>
> --
> Mike Small
> smallm at sdf.org           SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

><> ... Jack

The Four Boxes of Liberty - "There are four boxes to be used in the defense
of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart"... Colossians 3:23
"Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new." -
Albert Einstein
"You don't manage people; you manage things. You lead people." - Admiral
Grace Hopper, USN
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -
Ben Franklin