[Discuss] privacy with pgp keys

Rich Braun richb at pioneer.ci.net
Fri Sep 11 14:28:47 EDT 2015

This thread about PGP inconvenience reminded me of the yet-unsolved problem of
dealing with finance professionals.  H&R Block (a firm for which I once
worked, as a front-line preparer) has a "secure portal" which their corporate
parent encourages customers to use for document transfer.  Yet the guy I
worked with at the downtown office this year said he had no access to that, so
I had to hand over my docs on a thumb drive.

Last year I bought a home, and found myself having to dig out an antique *fax*
machine to "securely" send documents.  Some of the participants used the
Docusign cloud service, but for the most part everything had to be done
old-school. (And I'm not at all convinced that Docusign addresses many of the
security fears that I have whenever I transmit credit- and income-related
paperwork.)

I was connecting downtown Boston law firms to the Internet back in 1994-95,
and even today they're hopelessly stuck in a past era of bike messengers and
fax machines.

Why does this remain such a huge unsolved problem?  Maybe y'all could pull in
a panel discussion of finance/legal IT admins for a future meeting.

-rich