[Discuss] java keytool x.509 error

Eric Chadbourne eric.chadbourne at icloud.com
Thu Sep 17 21:25:04 EDT 2015

Hi All,

I'm attempting to assist a former coworker but have little experience with Java and the jvm keytool.

He has to admin a java app (jira) running on ubuntu and needs to change the SSL from one for that specific server to one for them all.  He received a zip from executive IT & digicert.  I read through some docs but can't get it to work.  I know there's at least one java guru on the list.

Here's what I tried.

$JAVA_HOME/keytool -import -alias alias1 -keystore /somepath/jira.jks -file /someotherpath/DigiCertCA.crt

$JAVA_HOME/keytool -import -alias alias2 -keystore /somepath/jira.jks -file /someotherpath/star.crt

$JAVA_HOME/keytool -import -alias privateKey -keystore /somepath/jira.jks -file /someotherpath/star.key

The first two imported without issue.  The last one returned:

keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Input not an X.509 certificate

Unfortunately google is flooded with this error and I'm not finding a solution that helps.  The error is correct.  The key is not an X.509.  Am I not able to import a private key?  Am I totally misunderstanding how this works?

Eric C
- The one who really dislikes java and is only doing this to not leave a guy stranded.