[Discuss] Reusing Passwords on Different Sites Should be OK

Chris Markiewicz effigies at riseup.net
Fri Sep 18 11:44:43 EDT 2015

On 09/18/2015 10:27 AM, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On 9/18/2015 10:10 AM, Chris Markiewicz wrote:
>> This is such a bizarre interpretation of "Third-party". A password
>> should be considered a secret between two parties: client and server.
>> But again, conceded that this is a problem.
>
> It's not a bizarre interpretation. It's case law. If you store your mail
> (for example) on my server then you have voluntarily given your
> information to me. You have no reasonable expectation of privacy
> regarding that information. A password is no different.
>
> If you think my privacy policy protects you then think again. It only
> stipulates that I won't give (or sell) your information to /other/ third
> parties. It offers you no protection within my organization.

I think you misinterpreted. I didn't say that you and your organization
don't have access to information I voluntarily provide you, but that
considering the person or machine I directly give information to as a
"third party" and therefore public enough for government search and
seizure without a warrant is bizarre. I recognize that it's case law,
hence why I conceded the problem. That is in no way an argument against
bizarreness. I'm not sure why people think asserting facts not in
dispute is ever a relevant response to aesthetic judgments.

Chris