[Discuss] Cloud-backup solutions for Linux?

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 11:33:53 EDT 2015

On 9/24/2015 10:36 AM, Matt Shields wrote:
> Who says sync/sharing is not a backup?  Is the goal a backup not to have
> two or more copies of your data in different locations?

No, it isn't. The goal to be able to recover from a disaster. Having a
replica may be a step toward that goal but it is not itself the goal.

What are the chances of all of the bad things you list happening?
Non-zero. That's why you plan accordingly. As for me, I will continue to
write off sync/sharing services as backup plans. I've had to tell too
many people that I can't help them after they discovered that their
trust in ${SYNC_SERVICE} as a backup policy was misplaced.

--
Rich P.