[Discuss] Cloud-backup solutions for Linux?

Edward Ned Harvey (blu) blu at nedharvey.com
Thu Sep 24 14:21:34 EDT 2015

> From: Discuss [mailto:discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On
> Behalf Of Dan Ritter
>
> I've investigated SpiderOak. Add to your requirements:
> open-source client

Never expose your passwords or encryption keys to anyone. This is the reason I personally don't trust spideroak. I personally feel it's deceptive marketing to slap "zero knowledge" all over it ... But I'll refrain from further comment and let them speak for themselves:

"Important Note: When accessing your data via the SpiderOak website or a mobile device, you must enter your password which will then exist in the SpiderOak server memory for the duration of your browsing session. [...] your data could potentially be readable to someone with access to the SpiderOak servers."

https://spideroak.com/features/private-by-design