[Discuss] Cloud-backup solutions for Linux?

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 11:49:35 EDT 2015

On 9/29/2015 10:28 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> I haven't seen an OS, Filesystem, or a daemon, it at least 15 years,
> that couldn't gracefully survive a power interruption. Except
> ownCloud.  ;-)

I have. More than once. And had to clean up afterwards. More than once.

 > has these characteristics - even Mongo and Sqlite. I have
 > specifically verified this is correct with Sqlite.

That's because Sqlite is transactional. Mongo isn't. Sudden power loss
will leave a Mongo database in a corrupt state with a good chance of the
data being irrecoverable.

 > As for the filesystem being in an "inconsistent" state after
 > interruption - That's what journaling is for. If you were in the
 > middle of a "rm" or "mv" operation or something like that, journaling
 > remembers it and correctly handles it after system restore - either
 > by completing the operation or by backing it out as if it never
 > happened. Automatically.

If you are in the middle of committing a change or addition when making
a snapshot then that change or addition disappears as if it never
happened when that snapshot is restored. A backup system that loses live
data is unacceptable.

--
Rich P.