[Discuss] Nexus 5X

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Sep 29 15:11:24 EDT 2015

I just spent money and ordered a new Google Nexus 5X phone. I didn't
want the bigger phone they also introduced today, but I did sweat over
two details on this one: Do I get the extra flash storage capacity (bah,
no micro SD slot in these phones), for $50? Do I get the $69 protection
plan that includes my dropping it on the ground for two years?

I decided to get both.

  - The protection plan because I do drop my phone now and then, and I
will have it for two at least years.

  - The extra flash storage because I expect to have it for more than
two years, and I always run short of storage. Not that *I* fill it up
with crap, everyone else does: just yesterday Google said they raised
the limit for Play Store .apk files from 50MB to 100MB. Why on earth
does a phone app need 100MB of space!?

I also ordered a USB-C to USB-A cable. Another new standard, yet again...

-kb, the Kent whose storage spending habit is offline maps...they can be
big, and it is a big planet.