[Discuss] Apple FUD?

John Hall johnhall2.0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:43:23 EDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/2/2016 8:48 AM, IngeGNUe wrote:
> > That strikes me as weird because /etc/fstab has been around forever. Is
> > this just FUD, is Apple prone to FUD? Or...have they broken
> > compatibility with such things as you would see in GNU and BSD?
>
> Not FUD and not broken. Macintosh uses an automount mechanism similar to
> the hotplug automounter found on most Linux desktops. Careless use of
> fstab can interfere with these mechanisms.

​Agreed, and also limits to support and service.
​But it seems that such edits would have to be more unlucky than simply
careless. I suppose the automounter needs it's context directory...and no
collisions, but I'm not following how *adding* an NTFS volume as read/write
instead of read only would accomplish that.
​The ​open sources driver project clearly stated that write was
experimental for a very long time.
I don't know what version is on your mac or if writing is now considered
production ready.
Anyway oss always comes with disclaimers and no guarantees.
I don't know if they have now but MS did not publish clear standards for
interoperation and so the open source / free drivers were reverse
engineered.
Obviously writing to a file system has much greater risks of data loss than
reeds.