[Discuss] Govt Source Code Policy

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:37:39 EDT 2016

On 4/4/2016 11:28 AM, Mike Small wrote:
> on a device they keep), without any autodestruction happening.  When the
> FBI takes possession of a person's, especially a late person's, device
> and software they aren't being conveyed anything. They've simply taken
> hold of someone's device and software.

The GPL itself states otherwise:

To “propagate” a work means to do anything with it that, without
permission, would make you directly or secondarily liable for
infringement under applicable copyright law, except executing it on a
computer or modifying a private copy. Propagation includes copying,
distribution (with or without modification), making available to the
public, and in some countries other activities as well.

To “convey” a work means any kind of propagation that enables other
parties to make or receive copies. Mere interaction with a user through
a computer network, with no transfer of a copy, is not conveying.

The GPL makes no distinctions between gifts, thefts and warranted
seizures. There may be a loophole in there but if there is then I for
one don't see it.

--
Rich P.