[Discuss] Govt Source Code Policy

Mike Small smallm at sdf.org
Thu Apr 7 21:02:38 EDT 2016

Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> writes:

> ... Regardless, the GNU licenses
> prohibit adding terms that restrict the removal of attributions. That's
> a problem in a world where recognition is so highly prized.

I was reading part 7 of GPLv3 while composing my previous message and saw
exactly the opposite. Maybe you could quote what you're referring to.

This is what I'm referring to:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, for material you
add to a covered work, you may (if authorized by the copyright holders
of that material) supplement the terms of this License with terms:
b) Requiring preservation of specified reasonable legal notices or
author attributions in that material or in the Appropriate Legal Notices
displayed by works containing it; or
c) Prohibiting misrepresentation of the origin of that material, or
requiring that modified versions of such material be marked in
reasonable ways as different from the original version; or
All other non-permissive additional terms are considered “further
restrictions” within the meaning of section 10. If the Program as you
received it, or any part of it, contains a notice stating that it is
governed by this License along with a term that is a further
restriction, you may remove that term."

--
Mike Small
smallm at sdf.org