[Discuss] I need some dual-booting advice

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 11:56:23 EDT 2016

On 4/12/2016 10:59 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> What exactly do you mean by "Shared Virtual Machine"?  Can't you create
> a /vmware partition that is owned by e.g. root:vmware_users, set mode
> 6775, and put the VM config in there?

I hadn't thought of that but I'll give it a shot.

Shared virtual machines are sometimes called VMware Workstation Server
mode. Shared VMs work a lot like KVM but still running in user space
instead of in kernel space or on a bare metal hypervisor. A benefit to
shared VMs is that they can be started in the background at boot time
independent of the console UI. The tradeoff is that none of the direct
system/hardware access the console UI provides is available to them.

--
Rich P.