[Discuss] Do Cheap NAT Routers "Fill up"?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Apr 14 14:32:52 EDT 2016

[Forgive my earlier version of this e-mail, it was confusing. I hope
this one is better.]

A little Python is a dangerous thing...

I was running a script that does a lot of http GETs to a remote machine
with a fast network connection (linode), and after awhile it slows down,
and I notice other things on my computer also slow down, things like a
DNS lookup of google.com.

I wrote an even simpler Python script that does a single packet ping of
8.8.8.8 and then does a dig of a list of well known names (things like
google.com, yahoo.com, ...) and I ran it in a loop: it runs fast at
first but then slows down, with some really long pauses. Pauses of
predictable favorite lengths.

This is over DSL. So I plugged in my phone and did a tether through it,
and the simpler script behaves similarly: fast at first then pauses. I
tried running the simpler script on a Linux on a different DSL network
across the country and it worked better there, but still seemed to
deteriorate.

Then I tried running the simpler script on my linode machine and it ran
fine there.

The difference is the NAT? In each case where I am behind a NAT it
starts fast and then slows down. On the one case where I had no NAT it
ran fast. Do cheap NAT boxes not know how long to keep their translation
records, and get plugged up?

Thanks,

-kb