[Discuss] Windows Subsystem for Linux

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 14:42:45 EDT 2016

On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> my question would be how well does this shell integrate with
>> windoes EXEs ?
>
> It doesn't. The subsystem runs ELF binaries. It won't start Windows PE
> or COFF binaries (exec format error).

> account (login/password), that this account is separate from the
>  Windows credentials, and that this account runs as a non-privileged user even

Hmm. So a totally different use case, even more insular than Cygwin.
Can't use it for single cross-platform  scripting-platform for Ops / DevOps.

I guess this will be useful if your shop has standardized on Azure
type cloud but you've got one or two app vendors who deliver .deb's .
[ In my last shop i had the reverse problem, we were trending .rpm but
some boutique vendors delivered for Windows Server only. ]

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux