[Discuss] SD Cards, cheap and here for a while?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Aug 23 20:46:55 EDT 2016

On 08/23/2016 08:27 PM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> Poking around online I noticed sd cards are large and inexpensive.  This plus it's omnipresence seems compelling.  Slide one into the side of my laptop and local storage triples.
>
> Safe bet to buy a few of these?

I would suggest you be religious about your backups: consider them a
REdistribution medium--from you back to you, not as a storage medium. I
have had cards die on me multiple times over the years, including a 32GB
Samsung microsd card within the last year. Maybe full-sized SD cards are
better, but I am skeptical.

It would be nice if they became reliable, they are getting scary big and
dang cheap.

-kb, the Kent who has finally gotten good about backups in the last year
or three, but that's a whole 'nuther story.