[Discuss] 4K (or 5K) resolution for Linux desktop

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jan 6 15:50:41 EST 2016

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 15:43:39 -0500, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On 1/6/2016 2:02 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> Yes, but 50% linear increase is not negligible.
>
> Neither is wasting the other 50%.

It's not important other than the fact that my display might be a bit
slower.  But I'm not a g4m3rz, and any card will be more than fast
enough to display my editor and such.

Even I don't want a 25" laptop screen, but I wouldn't mind getting
more content on my existing 17" (1920x1200).

>> I was actually referring to my generic KDE fonts (Noto).  I tried
>> Cousine with emacs; it's both bigger (or at least more leading) and
>> harder (for me) to read than the 6x10 bitmap font.
>
> Cousine is wider. It's intended to be a drop-in replacement for Courier New.

Wider is not a feature for me.

> Have you tried Ubuntu Mono? It's narrower with more traditional terminal
> shapes than Cousine.

Don't have it (I'm running openSUSE, not Ubuntu).

--Eric Crampton