[Discuss] cheap realiable web hosting service

Daniel Barrett dbarrett at blazemonger.com
Fri Jan 22 11:25:52 EST 2016

On January 21, 2016, Bouman MC wrote:
>I need a reliable and cheap web hosting service that won't delete the
>web site for spite and entertainment when they're have a bad
>day...which just happened to me today. Any suggestions? MCB

For simple shared webhosting, I've been a happy customer of
hostdime.com for 10 years. It's cpanel-based, but you can ask for SSH
shell access by filing a ticket and promising to be responsible.
(It's jailshell though, very limited, and you may not store any
significant files outside of public_html directory.) The server has 12
cores and 12 GB RAM. You have unlimited storage, bandwidth, and domain
names; but if you occupy too many system resources, you'll be asked to
get a VPS. I pay about $5/month.

I've filed a couple dozen problem tickets over the years at hostdime,
and their tech support people are VERY responsive, even for $5/month
peons like me.

For a VPS, I use Linode at $20/month for 2 cores, 2GB RAM, 50GB SSD,
and 3TB data transfer per month (which I never approach). This sucker
is FAST. The network connectivity is also noticeably faster than
hostdime's.  Personally, I find the notion of "rolling up" my own
Linode servers at any time so appealing that I have to stop myself
from spending more....

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett at blazemonger.com