[Discuss] Local ISP Recommendations?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Fri Jan 29 12:38:13 EST 2016

On 01/22/2016 12:37 AM, David Kramer wrote:
> If I can get by with a dynamic IP address I can get 150Mbps
> symmetrical from Verizon for less than I'm paying for the 20-30Mbps
> I'm getting now.  In researching it though, about half the articles
> say it should be fine, and half the articles point out how it's super
> dangerous and you can end up having your mail sent to someone else's
> server if your IP address gets assigned to them.
>
> I would love to get your opinions (or even better, facts) on how
> dangerous it would be to run a web and mail server on a dynamic IP. I
> think Matt was asking about that too.

I think the biggest problem is outbound main being blocked for being a
dynamic IP.

I am toying with getting faster dynamic IP service for less, but
bouncing through a static IP in the cloud. Maybe I have two networks
internally at home. (They can run on the same wire.) One would be a NAT
of the dynamic service, and one would be somehow tunneled through a
virtual machine at Linode or Digitalocean. (What is the easiest and most
reliable way to do that?)

-kb