[Discuss] Dropbox does not respect Linux hard or symbolic links

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 13:25:37 EDT 2016

I would agree with both Rich and Bill.. In my case Dropbox does serve the
purpose. (Sorry for some typos and brevity, i broke my right index finger)

Today there are a number of ec2 providers. For years I have been backing up
to a local removable drive but in public giving advice about offsite or
online backups. So it was about time to put my money where my mouth was.
The BLU uses AWS. I had a need to share some files with my son-in-law who
uses dropbox, and Doug Sweetser gave a good overview of dropbox a few years
ago. Also for the installfest I decided to place the isos on Dropbox so I
could easily share the isos from my desktop to my laptop and netbook.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 11:59 AM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It appears that Dropbox stores hard linked files as separate files. This
>> kills snapshot-type of backups like rsnapshot.
>> ​...
>> I suspect that many online cloud-based storage solutions will do a similar
>> thing. For my purpose, it just changes how I handle offsite backups since
>> my automatic backup to a local HD works fine.
>>

> I'd ​ be surprised if any made-safe-for-normals cloud storage handled
> Symbolic links, let alone hard links.
> Windows remains the main market, and the % of OSX users who will use such
> are few.
> Gnu/Linux, *BSD, other Unix market for 'friendly' cloud storage is
> probably very small ... and will remain very small if they don't offer what
> we'd need.
>

> 'We don't  see many camels in this bar.'
> 'At these prices, i'm not surprised.'
>

> --
> Bill Ricker
> bill.n1vux at gmail.com
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: B7F14F2F
Key fingerprint: D937 A424 4836 E052 2E1B  8DC6 24D7 000F B7F1 4F2F