[Discuss] free email less intrusive than google

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 18:48:29 EDT 2016

On 3/15/2016 5:48 PM, Derek Martin wrote:
> I once saw a black man become irate on a street corner because he
> was referred to as "African American" -- he was very clear that he
> was neither African nor American.  I was once myself castigated by a
> Chinese-American woman for using the word "Oriental" in a cultural
> context, because "That's derogatory," when my girlfriend at the time
> was Chinese and used the word proudly.

I get flack for calling myself a Polak. I'm of Polish descent, and
that's the Polish word for someone of Polish descent. And still, I've
been called a racist for using a word from one of my own ancestral
languages to describe that ancestry.

Yes, really.

Those who call me a racist for this insist that the correct word is
"Pole". I find *that* to be insulting. A pole is something you hang a
flag on or where you suspend telephone wires or something you use to
catch fish. I am not a pole.

PC is about respect?

Nope.

--