[Discuss] Setting up a home cloud

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 11:28:31 EDT 2016

On 3/19/2016 10:28 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I'm looking to replace my current desktop system with a local cloud
> storage. I certainly can use my old desktop system, but it's power usage
> is quite high. My thinking right now is to buy one of the commercial
> systems, such as WD My Cloud, Synology, QNAP, Drobo.

The Synology and QNAP appliances are good but their disks are overpriced
so buy them separately. I have no experience with WD's appliances but
they do have a good rep on the list.

If you want something more versatile -- a real server, not an appliance
-- then I highly recommend HP's microserver line. Quiet, unobtrusive,
reliable, reasonably priced. Again, buy disks separately.

--
Rich P.