[Discuss] Notebook Recommendations?

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun May 1 21:14:25 EDT 2016

On Sun, 01 May 2016 21:03:18 -0400, Kent Borg wrote:
> On May 1, 2016 6:06:15 PM EDT, Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>Are you willing to consider used?
>
> Maybe. Notebooks are a bit like sports cars, best bought new: who
> knows what they have been through? But not always.
>
> Have something on offer? Old and reassembling my Lenovo x230, but
> not mortally wounded? And cheaper than new (albeit, at the starting
> gate lower-end new)?

My spare laptop (that I haven't personally used in many years,
although we did use it at work last fall when someone traveling needed
one temporarily) is a 17" Dell 9400, which isn't what you want.  I'm a
lot more interested in capability than portability, and I've always
bought used high-end laptops which I've upgraded to suit.  Even with
buying extra memory and disks and replacing the keyboard every now and
then (which would only be delayed with a new one) I come out well
ahead.

--Eric Crampton