[Discuss] Notebook Recommendations?

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon May 2 10:27:06 EDT 2016

On 5/1/2016 9:13 PM, Kent Borg wrote:
> Maybe so. Replaceable flash is more important than a specific
> interface.

All the more reason to stick to current industry standards.

> Except I am afraid of SSDs and so would like replaceability and
> expandability.

Don't be. Flash-based consumer SSDs are no less reliable or replaceable
than mechanical drives within their normal usage lifetimes. They're
arguably more reliable since they're immune to physical shocks and they
don't suffer from spin-up wear. Yes, flash drives fail. So do mechanical
drives. You just hear more about flash drive failures these days because
they fail in different ways than the mechanical failures we're
accustomed to.

An option worth considering is a NUC and a USB-powered portable monitor.

--
Rich P.