[Discuss] My Bank's Web Site is Behaving Oddly

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed May 4 18:53:57 EDT 2016

On 05/04/2016 05:51 PM, John Hall wrote:
> Are you using your ISP's DNS ? Is it comcast?

Various. I did manual lookups on 8.8.8.8, but at home I run my own DNS,
on my phone I get T-Mobile's, at Linode I must be using theirs.

So what is the difference between my bank using Incapsula to run its
website, and someone spotting that a bank's domain is about to expire
and setting up a middleman in hopes it will lapse, grabbing it if it
does? If the certificate and the whois data make no mention of the bank,
how do I know I am talking to the bank? Just trust that Incapsula was
careful in vetting the account?

-kb, the Kent who finds it unnerving that his bank shares a cert with
100-something other domains.