[Discuss] What (free software) options are people using for chat?

Ryan Lee Stanyan ryan.stanyan at gmail.com
Wed May 18 20:53:57 EDT 2016

I remember back when I was starting to use Linux as a desktop, which
would be roughly 2003/04-ish, I used GAIM as my chat client. I liked it
because unlike the standard AIM client or Trillian, it wasn't terribly
bloated with adware that just got in the way. It was also on Windows as
well, so I could use it on multiple platforms. With free text messaging
I rarely if ever use Pidgin, which GAIM had evolved into.

For IRC, which I use a lot these days, I started off with Chatzilla as
my client. Then I discovered XChat in the repos and moved on to that.
Since XChat doesn't receive updates as far as I know, I use the HexChat
fork for my IRC needs.

-Ryan