[Discuss] I, uh, deleted the wrong kernel....

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 10:33:18 EDT 2016

This was one of the things I didn't like when I used to run Ubuntu. At some
point, I discovered a setting (possibly from a Rich Pieri response), but I
have moved over to Fedora. Fedora specifically maintains the 3 most recent
kernels as well as a rescue kernel.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Ben Carr <bencarr at gmail.com> wrote:

> You should have other kernels if you are Debian based unless you
> removed all the others with `rm` as others have mentioned. You might
> want to look into the auto-clean features of you distro, this will
> allow you to say keep, 3 or 4 kernels in case one fails, such as a
> regression in a driver you need. If you have no other kernels on your
> system you will likely be forced to boot from other media, like USB or
> CD, or DVD. You will want to install the current kernel, but also
> update grub, it sounds like grub hasn't been updated. Are you building
> your own kernels or using distro kernels?
> -Ben

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: B7F14F2F
Key fingerprint: D937 A424 4836 E052 2E1B  8DC6 24D7 000F B7F1 4F2F