[Discuss] 3D Printers

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Wed Apr 12 22:36:26 EDT 2017

I recently bought an ANet A8 3D printer for 163.99 (a week ago counting
shipping)

www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.html?currency=USD&viphttp://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.html?currency=USD&vip=760163&gclid=CJLTpfywoNMCFduEswoddZsDaw=760163&gclid=CJLTpfywoNMCFduEswoddZsDaw

I am currently printing stuff right now. Its kind of cool. I have a number
of thing I want to print, but it will take days to get them done. 3D
printing is not terribly fast.

A co-worker of mine dismissed 3D printers as gimmicks and while I sort of
agree, I think the technology is interesting. Here is one issue that drove
home the issue for me.

I was trying to set up a raspberry pi camera as a web cam. I was double
sided taping the camera to a box. Then I asked myself, "I bet
thingiverse.com" has a 3D cad of what I want, and, of course, they did!!.I
printed the camera mount. Easy.

This technology is in its infancy. It has so much potential. Anyone else
have a 3D printer?