[Discuss] CrashPlan Home is discontinued - what's next?

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Wed Aug 30 23:05:35 EDT 2017

I have a cron job which commits my home directory into a Git repository
every minute.  Surprisingly, this puts no noticeable load on the
computer.

Every week, I run a script which prunes commits out of the commit
history so that at any time N in the past, commits are spaced no closer
than N/365.  That is, 1 year ago, they are spaced 1 day apart.

Once a week, I rsync a copy of the .git directory to a free box.com
account (10 GB of storage), which is just big enough to contain the most
recent two copies.

Box.com is convenient because you can mount it as a disk using WebDAV.
You can even execute Git commands directly on the mounted box.com files!

Dale