[Discuss] MS licensing and Wine (was: Discuss Digest, Vol 79, Issue 6)

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 12 04:49:36 EST 2017

Shirley M?rquez D?lcey <mark at buttery.org> writes:
> The catch is licensing. The Windows license that came with your
> computer doesn't cover running it in a virtual machine. You'll have to
> buy a full retail license to do that legally.

Interesting!  So the standard with-a-new-computer license *doesn't* have
the "and one VM on the same hardware" provision that (I have been told)
a "real" license does?

There's also the question of how MS Word is licensed.

Are there versions of Wine (or whatever it's called now) that work well?
That is, has someone here used it and can vouch that it Just Works...

Dale