[Discuss] Ubuntu 17.10 / Gnome first impressions

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Wed Dec 20 14:08:27 EST 2017

I've been focusing mostly on Ubuntu because I want my skills to be with
something very popular that I'm likely to run into elsewhere.  Maybe I
should focus more on something for power users, as you say.

If I go with the Fedora KDE spin, that will bring me bleeding edge
software and also RPM package management which I'm more likely to see at
work (in RHEL/Centos).  I think I would be frustrated with Debian's
multi-year release cycle, and Arch and Gentoo seem like a LOT of work.
This is my daily everything-but-gaming computer, and having it work is
also of value to me.

Any other distros I should consider?

Thanks. I was really seeing this as a Gnome vs KDE thing but you're
right, the problem may be partly with the distro.