[Discuss] Ubuntu 17.10 / Gnome first impressions

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Dec 20 16:42:45 EST 2017

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 16:34:20 -0500
Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> wrote:

> On 12/20/2017 4:20 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 14:08:27 -0500
> > David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Any other distros I should consider?
> > Void Linux (https://www.voidlinux.eu/). I've been using it nonstop,
> > on a daily basis, for 2.5 years, and it's wonderful.
>
> What are Void Linux's memory and processor demands? I'm assembling a
> "gateway" for Amateur Packet Radio use, and I need a lightweight
> version which is nonetheless capable of running AX.25. I have a Dell
> PC that has 400 MB of RAM and a 2GHz processor, which should be
> adequate for a router, but I need to know how much processor load and
> RAM I can shed with this version.

The answer to your question depends on what you're going to be running.
I have no idea what AX.25 is. Your 2GHz processor is more than enough:
I have Void running on processors less than half that speed.

I've gotten Void with X and Openbox running on 250mhz, but maaaan,
you'd better use a lightweight browser and only open one or two windows
at a time. You can tell you're sucking fumes.

If you don't need X, I think 400MB of RAM is plenty unless your
software malloc's a heck of a lot.

There's one more thing I didn't talk about. Void is also available with
the musl standard library instead of the glibc or whatever it's called
these days, and from what I understand musl is much more conservative
of RAM. That said, I've never used the musl variety. Anyway, if you
don't need X, I think 400MB should be plenty.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive