[Discuss] deadmanish login?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Feb 2 14:45:29 EST 2017

On 02/01/2017 12:03 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On 1/31/2017 8:48 AM, Kent Borg wrote:
>> "15-ladder-bamboo-sierra" is an easy password to remember and type, yet
>> it has 40-bits of entropy. Even if some bizarrely configured sshd
> It also uses dictionary words. Using dictionary words (read: not random)
> reduces the effective entropy of the key.

It most certainly does.

If you take binary data and encode it as base64, it doesn't reduce the
entropy, it is just a coding, no data is gained or lost, it is a
reversible operation.

In this case I am doing the same thing, but coding as words. It is fully
reversible, no data is lost or gained.

See:

   http://preshing.com/20110811/xkcd-password-generator/

and:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diceware

Passwords don't have to look like random gibberish to have good amounts
of entropy: 04-premium-student-viking!

-kb