[Discuss] deadmanish login?

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 10:57:52 EST 2017

A while ago I looked into a number of these. I prefer LastPass (
https://www.lastpass.com/). LastPass works well on Linux, Windows, Mac, and
Android. Passwords are encrypted on their server, so that if you forget
your passphrase you are SOL (which is a good thing).
The Chrome and Firefox plugins work pretty well.

I did have a case where I changed my passphrase, and apparently mistyped
it, but I had lastpass open on my home desktop and was able to change my
pass phrase. I have not revisited the other password keepers recently.

The main security issue with lastpass is that you can set it up to remember
your passphrase. This is ok for me on my encrypted work laptop and my home
desktop. I do not set this up on my personal laptop. Also, on Android it
requires my fingerprint.

On Sat, Feb 4, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> wrote:

> Thread hijack, sorry.
>
> Readers please state your preferences for Keepass, Password Safe, or other
> programs/methods for storing passwords.
>
> Bill
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Feb 2, 2017, at 7:04 PM, Eric Chadbourne <sillystring at protonmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2/2/2017 2:51 PM, Kent Borg wrote:
> >> Does have 40-bits of entropy, that is.
> >
> > Not really:
> > https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/03/choosing_secure_1.html
> >
> > --
> > Rich P.
> >

> > Good article! Thanks.
> >
> > Though I prefer to change passwords periodically and keep them in
> Keepass at the moment.
> >
> > - Eric

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: B7F14F2F
Key fingerprint: D937 A424 4836 E052 2E1B  8DC6 24D7 000F B7F1 4F2F