[Discuss] After I'm dead (re: deadmanish login?)

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Tue Feb 7 13:28:05 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 12:57:45PM -0500, Grant NAPC wrote:
> On 02/07/2017 12:26 PM, Daniel Barrett wrote:
> >
> > Now at worst, your spouse tries 2 passwords instead of 1.
>
> This is actually an interesting discussion. Some in our community are
> forging ahead with using biometrics in lieu of passwords or even physical
> keys. What happens to all of this when you're dead? How do you open a
> biometric-secured safe deposit box, or access that Swiss Bank account of
> someone who's dead and no longer "biometrically-active"?

Well, first you remember that a biometric is an identifier, not
an authorizer. So the bank offers you a form with your safe
deposit box: do you want anyone else to have access to it? Do
you only want them to have access once you're dead?

Those people go an ACL.

It's not unusual; banks already require similar things for IRAs
and other retirement accounts where it's plausible that you will
end up dead before using them.

-dsr-

-dsr-