[Discuss] Torrent of new spam

Rich Braun richb at pioneer.ci.net
Tue Feb 14 16:04:50 EST 2017

About 3 weeks ago, one of my email addresses found its way into a new list
that led to bombardment of 30-50 spams per day. I got rid of forwarding on
that address and redirected it into a honeypot folder that (if need be) I
could eventually use to detect and divert future spam.

Suddenly, this morning my primary email address apparently found its way onto
that list. Almost all the spams have Subject Lines That Are Spelled In All
Caps, which might make for a useful filtering rule. Until I come up with a
solution, I'll have to manually delete several unwanted emails per hour--for
the foreseeable future.

Apparently this new spammer has figured out a way to get past the RBLs and
SpamAssassin filters that I've had a lot of success with in the past.

Is this a sudden new/widespread problem, or did I just get unlucky with the
combination of my email addresses and the (now fairly old) spam-control
software I've been using?

-rich