[Discuss] Torrent of new spam

Daniel Barrett dbarrett at blazemonger.com
Sat Feb 18 12:29:26 EST 2017

On February 17, 2017, Rich Braun wrote:
>> ... my approach to spam is to run spastic (spastic.sourceforge.net)
>> and spamassassin in sequence.
>
>I'm not familiar with spastic; its description at sourceforge doesn't provide
>much of a clue as to how it would complement spamassassin.

Where spamassassin is based on heuristics, spastic is literal. You
simply create blacklists and whitelists for blocking & permitting
emails. The lists can include "To" and "From" addresses, subject lines
(substrings), body text, etc.  Each list is a plain text file.

You can get exactly the same functionality by using procmail and
~/.spamassassin/user_prefs, but spastic is simpler. Received a spam
from idiot at blort.com? Just add "idiot at blort.com" or "@blort.com" to a
text file, and you're done.

Spastic by itself is too simple to catch spams that vary their
content, but it's a helpful complement to spamassassin.

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett at blazemonger.com