[Discuss] Docker and Owncloud

Rich Braun richb at pioneer.ci.net
Mon Jun 19 02:35:27 EDT 2017

The discussion of owncloud reminded me of a failed attempt to deploy it myself
circa 2013.

Now that I've moved most of my personal stuff to docker (see my repo
https://github.com/instantlinux/docker-tools), trying out or even fully
deploying these types of tools is a breeze; I was up and running Owncloud in
well under an hour, complete with installing the calendar plugin and verifying
calendar sync to my iPhone. (This was starting from *zero* knowledge of what
owncloud is really all about.)

I'll learn owncloud in coming days. Meanwhile, if you're curious about Docker
and want a shorter learning curve, check out my github repo as noted above.
I've got swarm stack definitions for a lot of the commonly-used Linux apps,
and I've published compact images (to
https://hub.docker.com/search/?q=instantlinux&isAutomated=0) for any of these
for which I didn't find an easy-to-use generic image on Docker's public hub.

As for hardware, my Docker lab experiment proved so successful that I'm
keeping the cheap "throwaway" mainboards that I bought for the learning
exercise starting in January (three under-$100 J3710 and J3455 mini-ITX ASRock
boards); they're close enough in performance to my aging Core-i5 mainboards
that I don't need faster hardware. And they're fanless, burning only about 12
watts which is important where I live now (35 cents a kwh for electricity).

-rich